HISTORY OF LOTON PARK
Loton Park was used by the War Department for munitions storage during WWII. By the time they vacated the site in 1959, the army had laid around 14 miles of roads throughout the deer park. Sir Michael Leighton, who had taken over the estate after his father’s death and members of the Shrewsbury based Severn Valley Motor Club, saw the potential of these tarmac tracks and a course was created. RAC approval was applied for in time for the first meeting in June 1960 followed by another later that summer. Loton was given ‘Restricted’ status in 1961, enabling members of other invited clubs to take part in events. The first ever winner was Peter Foulkes in a Cooper Climax. Loton eventually hosted a Championship-round in 1963 when Tony Marsh set the record on the new hill with a time of 37.03 seconds driving his Marsh Special.
By the late ‘60s the course measured 1475 yards, making it the third longest course used in the British Hill Climb Championship. In 1970, Peter Blankstone had set the first ever BTD on this new layout in the Brabham with Marsh-Hewland 4WD. By April 1970, Hagley & District Light Car Club had taken over the running of Loton Park events. Hill climbing legend, Roy Lane set BTD 15 times at Loton throughout his career. The hill record of 43.52 seconds is currently held by 6-times British Champion, Scott Moran from Ludlow who set the mark on June 10th 2012 driving his famous Gould GR61X
This 1967 photograph shows Tony Marsh taking the Marsh special round Museum- Credit to Mike Hayward